ON THE STALLING OF RAPID TRANSIT

During last fall's municipal election campaign, Katz told Winnipeggers he will continue to lobby other levels of government to transform the first phase of the southwest corridor into a light-rail route and try to access P3 Canada Funds for the project. Since then, there has been no update on the status of the project. "We're waiting because the mayor has other priorities," said Fort Rouge Coun. Jenny Gerbasi. Gerbasi said the mayor has deferred the second phase -- for which there is still no plan or design -- which could lead to further cost overruns. She said Winnipeggers will probably scratch their heads once the first phase is complete as transit riders will be able to bypass downtown traffic congestion only to wind up back in traffic on Pembina Highway. "It's going to be very frustrating for transit riders," Gerbasi said. "When people are stuck in traffic waiting to go to the stadium, they're going to be thinking, 'Why didn't we finish this thing?' " Winnipeg Free Press, March 13, 2011